017-Setting Biological Clocks With Exercise
The podcast begins here…
• Skeletal muscle has an extensive network of clock-controlled genes, and dysregulation of its molecular clock can lead to deleterious metabolic consequences.
• Physical strength and skeletal muscle mitochondrial function peak in the late afternoon, whereas low-energy sensitive signalling peaks in the morning.
• Exercise is a robust Zeitgeber of skeletal muscle clocks, and exercise can reset the molecular circadian clock, thereby effectively ameliorating the negative effects of disrupted sleep patterns.
• Optimizing the timing of exercise bouts could aid existing therapeutic interventions for the management of metabolic disease.
• Divergent modalities of exercise can interact with the circadian rhythm, resulting in potent metabolic effects.